We’re heading to Berwick-upon-Tweed for our fourth Members’ Away Day – a half day’s un-conference and residential to take time out to work on your business, connect with other people working in magazines, and be part of presentations and discussions to help you with your magazine publishing challenges.
What is an un-conference?
Our Away Day is a half day conference for people working in and around magazine publishing.
But there’s a twist. It’s an un-conference, which means the speakers are also the delegates.
Once you’ve booked to attend, we’ll ask you to submit the topic of something you would like to talk about. This could be business or personally focussed; it could be magazine related or something that feeds the industry; it could be something you’re looking for feedback on, or something you think you could support others with.
The topic is entirely up to you, as is the format – whatever you’d be happiest with. It could be:
- a talk
- a workshop
- a discussion point
- a case study presentation
- a skill-share
- or something else entirely
We suggest 30 minutes for each session, but if you have an idea that would be longer or shorter, just chat to us about it.
We’ll take all the topics submitted, anonymise them, and then put them out to vote on from everyone attending. This means that whoever gets chosen will know that there’s already lots of people who would like to hear from them, which hopefully will reduce some nerves, and make the conference useful and fun for everyone.
Not sure what to put forward? Everyone that submits a topic, is also asked to submit a topic that they’d like to hear about, so we may be able to offer inspiration. Email Nikki Simpson for a chat.
What’s the Agenda?
We’ll have lunch on arrival on the 9th, then the conference with a break in the middle, time to relax before dinner, then dinner and drinks in the evening. Breakfast will be available on the 10th, and there’ll be a chance for a walk-and-talk (weather permitting) before we head home.
Thursday 9th May
- 11am-12pm Arrival and bag drop-off
- 12pm Lunch
- 1pm Conference Part 1
- 3.10pm Break for refreshments
- 3.40pm Conference Part 2
- 5.30pm Break before dinner
- 6.30pm Dinner
Friday 10th May
- 8am-9am breakfast
- 9.30am-10.30am walk-and-talk (weather permitting)
- 10.30am check out and head home
What do tickets include?
This is a members-only Away Day, so if you’d like to attend but you’re not a member, please sign up here and we look forward to meeting you.
Tickets include attendance at the conference, your accommodation at Marshall Meadows Manor, all food and three drinks in the bar after dinner.
- Stable Suite, £420 sole occupancy, £530 double occupancy (3 available)
- Junior Suite or Meadows Suite Pod, £360 sole occupancy, £470 double occupancy (3 Suites and 5 Pods available)
- Premier room, £320 sole occupancy, £430 double occupancy (3 available)
- Classic room, £280 sole occupancy, £390 double or twin occupancy (8 x sole or double and 4 x twin available)
We ask you to make your own way there – if you would like to car-pool, get in touch and we can introduce you to other people coming from your area.
Book your place
Choose which accommodation you would like and whether you’d like sole or double occupancy.
Stable Suites come with super king beds, rainfall walk-in showers, a lounge area and their own hot tub.
£420 sole occupancy, £530 double occupancy
Junior Suites come with super king beds, rainfall walk-in showers and a sitting area.
£360 sole occupancy, £470 double occupancy
Meadows Suite Pods feature super king size beds, air conditioning, underfloor heating and their own hot tub.
£360 sole occupancy, £470 double occupancy
Premier Rooms have beautiful views of the gardens, with a king or super king bed and rainfall shower.
£320 sole occupancy, £430 double occupancy
Classic Rooms feature a super king or king size bed, with twin beds also available.
£280 sole occupancy, £390 double or twin occupancy
(8 x sole, 4 x double or twin available)
Q Where are we going?
Join us at Marshall Meadows Manor on the stunning Northumbrian coast, set in beautiful landscaped gardens just outside the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed. The address is Marshall Meadows Manor House Hotel, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1UT.
Q What’s the easiest way to get there?
- By train: Berwick-upon-Tweed is on the main east coast train line between Edinburgh and London – 40mins from Edinburgh, 3hrs 34mins from London, or 3hrs 19mins from Aberdeen. A taxi fare from Berwick-upon-Tweed train station to Marshall Meadows Manor is £8. We recommend using Lumo for affordable train fares.
- By car: Marshall Meadows Manor is a one-minute drive off the A1, just outside Berwick-upon-Tweed, and there is ample parking available at the hotel. We encourage you to car pool – get in touch if you’d welcome a lift or a passenger.
Q I’d like to car pool – can you put me in touch with others attending?
We’d be happy to. Email us and we’ll introduce you to others coming from your area.
Q I’d like to come but I don’t know what to put forward as a talk topic – can you help?
If you’re not sure about what to put forward or you feel nervous about public speaking, get in touch and we’ll have a chat about it – there are lots of ways we can support you and things we can suggest to make you feel more comfortable. Know though, that everyone coming will be there to support each other – you will feel welcome.
Q What happens if I book but then can’t come? What is your refund policy?
We will refund you:
- 100% of the ticket fee if cancelled by 10 March
- 75% of the ticket fee if cancelled between 10 March and 22 March
- 50% of the ticket fee if cancelled between 22nd March and 10 April
- 0% of the ticket fee if cancelled after 10 April
Q What happens if Covid restrictions increase and the event is cancelled?
We will refund all ticket fees.
Q I have other questions, who do I speak to?
Please direct all enquiries to Nikki Simpson, she’d love to chat to you.